Norfolk County Council Transport Plus
Transport Plus is a community transport service provided by Norfolk County Council.
It is a service using mostly volunteer car drivers to enable adult members of the public to access essential health, social and wellbeing services.
Journey bookings can be made with the County Council’s customer service centre and staff then organise the journey with an available driver or another community transport provider.
A charge is made for each journey to cover the cost of fuel and general wear and tear of the vehicle. This is paid direct to the driver.
Transport Plus is generally available to adult members of the public who:
- Have a specific health or social need but are not eligible for free transport
- Are unable to use or access normal public transport services
- Cannot access services using transport provided by family or friends
To use the service you need to be able to get in and out of a car unaided.
We can also take someone with you if you need a carer/assistant to help you at your appointment / service.
Unfortunately we are unable to take people who travel in a wheelchair.
Examples of journeys covered are:
- Health-related journeys to medical centres such as hospitals, doctors, health clinics, etc.
- Other medically-related appointments and preventative health care (eg dentist, optician, physiotherapy, occupational therapy)
- Day care and respite care
- Essential shopping
- Social activities or other activities to help with general wellbeing
Transport bookings can be made 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays) by phoning 0344 800 8020
You can book a journey up to a maximum of two weeks in advance – a minimum of three working days’ notice needs to be given.
In some circumstances, we can arrange for the volunteer driver to wait at the appointment venue for a maximum of one hour. For longer appointments the driver will leave and return which may incur an additional journey charge.
Priority will be given to journey requests within Norfolk although journeys outside Norfolk, (eg to a hospital appointment) will be considered.
Where to go
You can contact the service in writing at:
The Passenger Transport Manager, Transport Plus, Norfolk County Council, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2DH