The Book Trade Charity offers practical, emotional and financial support to anyone who works or has worked in the book trade, and their dependants.
It provides confidential support and advice to help relieve need and distress caused by:
- financial difficulties, including debt and rent arrears
- poverty, low household income and lack of savings
- emergencies and unexpected events
- illness (including long-term or terminal), disability, carer situations or bereavement
- the impact of redundancy/unemployment and other adverse social or economic issues
The charity also owns The Retreat at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, a residential facility which is primarily but not exclusively for the over-50s.
Beneficiaries must have worked in the book trade (publishing, distribution or sales) for more than one year, whether employed, self-employed or freelance. Dependants are also eligible for help.