Suicide prevention is everyone's responsibility
Whether you work with vulnerable people, know someone who may need some support, or are looking for help yourself we all have a role to play.
The information, tools and resources found here are the results of a county-wide partnership approach to reducing the numbers of those taking their own life in Norfolk.
Help for you
You may be feeling like taking your own life is the only option, but hold off making this decision for now and keep reading.
There are lots of people, support services and ideas out there to help you get through this. It will feel hard for you at the moment but it won’t always feel this way. This overwhelming feeling might pass.
- What would take your mind off things? Try going for a walk, doing something outside or listening to music. Use relaxation techniques, or just breathe
- Think about how you can keep yourself safe, just until you can talk to someone
- Speak to a friend or family member, someone you trust
- If you are supported by a professional, tell them how you are feeling
- Think about the things that are good in your life - the things you enjoy doing, the people in your life that make you feel good
- Remember – there are people who care about you
- Try this Safety Diary Plan which can be helpful
- The NHS have approved digital tools designed to help with mental health
Talk to someone
Pick up the phone and talk to someone or try one of the free, confidential online support services below:
- Samaritans - 116123
- Samaritans Norwich - 01603 611311 (charged at local rate)
- Childline - 0800 1111
- Campaign against living miserably (CALM) (aims to prevent male suicide) - 0800 58 58 58
- PAPYRUS (help for young people considering suicide) - 0800 068 41 41
- MIND- 0300 123 3393
- The Silver Line (helpline for older people) - 0800 4 70 80 90
- Wellbeing (in Norfolk & Waveney a partnership between MIND, NSFT and Relate) – 0300 123 1503
- Just One Norfolk
Affected by Suicide
- ‘Help is at Hand’ booklet offers support after someone may have died by suicide
- Nelson’s Journey – Supporting bereaved children and young people throughout Norfolk: 01603 431788
- Wellbeing service in Norfolk offers bereavement support