NHS Choices Practical Support

If you provide care and support to an adult friend or family member, you may be eligible for support from your local council.

This support could include being offered money to pay for things that make caring easier. Or the local authority might offer practical support, such as arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. It could also put you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

The Care Act 2014 makes carer's assessments more widely available to people in caring roles. For more information, read about the Care Act changes for carers.

Local authorities now have a legal duty to assess any carer who requests one or who appears to need support.

If you are a carer and you need some support, get in touch with the council covering the area where the person you care for lives. The council will be able to give you information and advice about how the assessment will work.

A carer’s assessment is a discussion between you and a trained person either from the council or another organisation that the council works.

The assessment will consider the impact the care and support you provide is having on your own wellbeing, as well as important aspects of the rest of your life, including the things you want to achieve day-to-day. It must also consider other important issues, such as whether you are able or willing to carry on caring, whether you work or want to work, and whether you want to study or do more socially.

Depending on the local council, the assessment could be done face-to-face, over the telephone or online. Please be aware that not all councils will offer all three options. The council will use the assessment to identify your support needs, and to discuss how these could be met. This might mean that the council will give you help or put you in touch with other organisations, such as local charities, that you can talk to.

For more information see the website below or call the Carers Direct Helpline.

Who to contact