With Toys R Us and Maplin both entering administration this morning customers may need further advice on their rights regarding outstanding orders and items like gift cards. So far the administrators for Toys R Us have offered the following advice:
- The 105 Toys R Us stores will remain open until further notice. The online store and click-and-collect service will be closed immediately.
- Shoppers who have ordered an item already on click-and-collect can still pick it up, but only if the item is still available in stock
- No exchanges for non-faulty items may be accepted and no refund will be given on non-faulty items
- If the item is faulty then the normal company policy will be followed in accordance with your statutory rights
- Anyone who has purchased items on the ‘take time to pay’ service will have their purchased honoured as long as the balance is paid and good collected by 11 March. Alternatively these customers can use deposits paid to purchase other items in store again by 11 March.
- Anyone with Toys R Us gift cards are advised to spend them in store as soon as possible before any store closures take place. No new gift cards will be sold.
- So far the administrators for Maplin have said there are no current plans to close stores, and gift cards are being accepted. We recommend that if you have gift cards that you spend these as soon as possible just in case the situation changes.
For more advice on your consumer rights when a business enters administration or ceases to trade can be found on the Citizens Advice website or by contacting our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
Get Safe Online are also advising people to be alert to emails, texts or social media posts claiming to be from Toys R Us or their administrator offering cheap deals as they could be scams. If received they advise you delete them.